Photo Information

Coaches and players of the 1st Marine Logistics Group’s football team, the Beast, celebrate after winning their final game of the regular season 12-6 against the 11th Marine Regiment Cannon Cockers at the 11 Area football field at Camp Pendleton, Calif., Nov. 3. The Beast will head into the playoffs with a 5-3 record.

Photo by Lance Cpl. Khoa N. Pelczar

1st MLG 'Beasts' stomp 11th Marines in football match-up

5 Nov 2009 | Lance Cpl. Khoa N. Pelczar 1st Marine Logistics Group

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. – The sky darkened, temperatures dropped, and fog began to form low and thick on the field as the audience rubbed their hands together to keep warm. The sudden climate change didn’t seem to bother the Beast as they kept pushing forward.

The 1st Marine Logistics Group’s football team, the Beast, had already secured its place in the playoffs before going into its final match-up of the season against 11th Marine Regiment, the Cannon Cockers, at the 11 Area football field, Nov. 3. But they still wanted to improve their season record.

            The Beast kicked off first, marking the start of the first quarter. The Cannon Cockers had to win this game in order to participate in the playoffs. They entered the game with a positive attitude, determined to take down the Beast.

            The first quarter ended quickly as both teams were still adjusting to the weather - neither team was able to score a touchdown.

            Halfway into the second quarter, just ten yards away from the Beast’s end zone, the Cannon Cockers completed a short pass for a touchdown, taking the lead and putting six points on the scoreboard.

            The weather seemed to take its toll on both teams as the plays were sloppy, fumbles occurring left and right and passes were inaccurate. The first half of the game ended with the Cannon Cockers leading by six points.

            Knowing they were behind, the Beast stepped up their game. Their defense was able to control the Cannon Cockers, keeping them away from the end zone and forcing them to fumble the ball and turn it over. Despite the Beast’s effort to advance, the Cannon Cockers refused to lose any yards on the field. As the game clock kept on ticking, the Cannon Cockers were closer to their goal of making it into the playoffs.

            It all came down to the final quarter. Both teams were limited to running plays and short passes as the fog was thick, making it nearly impossible to see the ball in long passes. The audience was on its feet, cheering for their teams. Victory seemed so close for the Cannon Cockers.

            With four minutes left on the clock, the Beast had just stopped the Cannon Cockers from scoring just 30 yards away from the Beast’s end zone. Jarvis L. Foster, wide receiver, was able to break away and score a touchdown for the Beast, tying the game 6-6. The game then went into overtime.

            It all came down to the final play of overtime. Each team had one chance to score a touchdown from the 25-yard line. The Cannon Cockers were shortly stopped as the Beast’s defense forced a fumble and recovered the ball for a first down.

            It was all up to the offense to wrap up the final win for the Beast. They kept pushing the line of scrimmage closer to the end zone. Finally, the Beast scored a touchdown, won the game for 1st MLG and eliminated the Cannon Cockers from the playoffs.

            The Beast ended their regular season and are heading into the playoffs with a 5-3 record, even more determined to bring home championship gold. Their next game will be at the 11 Area football field, Nov. 17.

Unit News Archive
1st Marine Logistics Group